Thursday, February 10, 2011

#5: French Kiss & Crock Pot Spinach Lasagna

Every two weeks I host a healthy taster table at work (a fun part of my job as the employee wellness coordinator), and I saw this recipe on one of fave cooking blogs last week: Gourmified.  It looked pretty darn good, and the guest host who posted it gave raving reviews of it.  I put it on my list of recipes to sample for my bi-weekly taster.  When I saw it on yet another of the blogs I follow: Just Cook Already, I bumped it right to the top of the list tout suite!  Today was the day, and it was quite the success.  It even rivals my current favorite lasagna (which is also super quick and healthy) which you can find the recipe to right here.  Anyway, I hope you and whoever you choose to treat with this dinner find it as fabulous as we all did!

Crock Pot Spinach Lasagna
From Jessica Seinfeld



Ingredients

1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 container (15 oz.) part skim ricotta cheese
1 ½ c. grated mozzarella cheese
¼ c. grated parmesan cheese
8-12 lasagna noodles (depending on the size of your crock pot; precooked noodles are not necessary!)
6 c. fresh baby spinach

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt, oregano, black pepper and red pepper. In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and parmesan.
2. In the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker, spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce. Top with 3 of the noodles (breaking to fit, if necessary). Spread about 1/3 cup of the sauce over the noodles and layer with 2 cups of the spinach. Dollop 1/3 of the cheese mixture evenly over the top. Repeat twice more with the noodles, sauce, spinach and cheese mixture. Top with the remaining 3 noodles, sauce, and ½ cup of mozzarella.
3. Cook on low, covered until the noodles are tender – especially in the center of the lasagna – about 3 to 3 ½ hours.
 
 
 
#5 = French Kiss
 



Ok, so I know this is not the most romantic scene from the movie, but it is one of the funniest for sure!  This one is just one of those great, sweet romantic comedies.  Its classic Meg Ryan (pre plastic surgery nightmare), and if you don't already love Kevin Kline, you will after this movie.  He's offensive, and its fantastic. 

Speaking of offensive...the honorable mention for today is Pretty Woman.  If someone were to tell you that a story about a hooker would make a great romantic comedy, you might not believe them.  But then you see the movie and you admit that you were wrong-o!  I love this movie - again, its no oscar winner, but its classic.  My grandmother even loves this movie ha!  If you haven't seen it, it's time to just get it over with.  You'll be glad you did.  Promise.


1 comment:

Nat said...

Yumness. I want to try this. can you use frozen spinach? I'm worried it may become soggy? I might add a pinch of nutmeg also, brings out the flavor in spinach!

Related Posts with Thumbnails